RE: [Xen-users] hardware recommendations please

To: "Florian Manschwetus" <florianmanschwetus@xxxxxx>, "Luke S Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] hardware recommendations please
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:14:15 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:18:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't understand why thLOM thing is any different to the IPMI+KVM
over IP offered by many manufacturers.

Is there anything significant in ILOM that is additional to the list of
out of band features built into a Tyan I'm using now?:
Sensors (Voltage, Fans and Temps and PSUs)
Full Colour KVM over lan
System power control
Mount CD, DVD and FD images for boot or use in OS
SNMP and traps for log events
Serial console to com1 over lan
Full sys log
HTTP, HTTPS and IPMI 2.0 interfaces

I find IPMI perfectly reliable (Have used plenty of system with IPMI but
no KVM over IP), mainly used for power cycling a hard locked system,
getting console to enter bios/raid bios and occasionally checking sensor
readings. It is a pain to remember that IPMI console access needs to be
added to the Linux grub config or Windows boot.ini which is why KVM over
IP is best.

Rob