Re: [Xen-users] Re: [xen-discuss] book about Xen

To: John Levon <john.levon@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [xen-discuss] book about Xen
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Oct 2009 20:52:17 -0400
Cc: xen-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Maciej Jan Broniarz <gausus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:52:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Levon <john.levon@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 10:35:24AM +0200, Maciej Jan Broniarz wrote:
>
> > Is there any good book regarding Xen. I have found some written in 2007,
> > which makes them quite ancient.
>
> There's nothing really current. "The Definitive Guide to the Xen
> Hypervisor" is a reasonable exposition of some hypervisor internals, but
> not very useful for an administrator. "Running Xen" is a pretty good
> sysadmin book, but very focused on Linux and tools like 'xm'. There's
> really nothing good for xVM apart from the opensolaris.org docs :)

If it's okay to toot my own horn, my book just came out.  It's solidly
at the SysAdmin level, not the kernel-programmer level, but it does have
some serious practical experience behind it, and covers 3.0.3 through
3.3/3.4  -  I would say that is fairly up to date for printed book standards.

see http://nostarch.com/xen.htm  if you are interested.

It's only got one OpenSolaris chapter, which is shared with NetBSD,
but we were lucky enough to get Rami Rosen as the technical editor, and
I think he did an excellent job polishing what little info we have about
OpenSolaris.

--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/         -   Hosting for the technically adept