[Xen-users] Issue when booting DomU with partitioned disk image

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Issue when booting DomU with partitioned disk image
From: Dennis Storm - Drecomm BV <d.storm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:02:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:03:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have a bunch of Dom0 running on Debian Lenny, stock XEN kernels (nothing fancy) Al servers are running quite nicely.

Recently we adde a new server, comparable to our other servers. The only big difference is that this server has a RAID-10 array, where the other servers have a RAID-1 array.

The DomU's we deploy are not all that fancy. However, we do partition the disk images for the sheer fact our backupsoftware needs to see partition tables to create backups (R1Soft CDP). We create the partitions with the following commands:

---------
dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.img bs=1M count=100000
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap.img bs=1M count=1024
losetup /dev/loop0 disk.img

# Create partition
fdisk -u -C4096 -S63 -H16 /dev/loop0
1
[enter]
[enter]
losetup -d /dev/loop0

# Remount to skip "bootsector"
losetup -o32256 /dev/loop0 disk.img

#Create filesystem and swapspace
mkfs.ext3 -b1024 /dev/loop0
mkswap swap.img
losetup -d /dev/loop0

mount -text3 -oloop=/dev/loop2,offset=32256 disk.img /mnt
# Rsync our templateserver content into the empty diskimage
rsync -rlHpogDtSxv root@<templateserver>:/ .
# Copy the modules of the running Dom0 kernel into the DomU filesystem
cp -Rvp /lib/modules/* /mnt/lib/modules/

umount -d /mnt
---------

Here's what we put in the config file:

---------
#
#  Kernel + memory size
#
kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-686'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-xen-686'
memory      = '2048'
extra = 'xencons=tty'

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
root        = '/dev/sda2 ro'
disk        = [
                  'file:/storage/XXX/swap.img,sda1,w',
                  'file:/storage/XXX/disk.img,sda2,w',
              ]

#
#  Hostname
#
name        = 'XXX'

#
#  Networking
#
vif         = [ 'ip=XXX,mac=XXX' ]

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'
-------

As you can see, nothing fancy.

Now, the problem: If we boot this DomU it flies through the kernel, but when it tries to mount the filesystem, it does absolutely nothing, just keeps hanging there (keep in mind, on other Debian Lenny Dom0's this works flawlessly, only difference is the RAID-array!)

I tried to figure out if the Dom0 was broken for some reason, so I used xen-create-image to debootstrap a fresh Domu in a raw disk image (without partitions, just plain raw), and that one booted just fine with the same swapfile and the same config.

Call me flabbergasted, i'm kinda clueless. Any idea's hints or brilliant remarks that could help me figure out this non-enjoyable problem?

--
Kind regards,

Dennis Storm - Systems Engineer
Phone: (+31)(50) 577 58 22 (line 9701)
E-mail: d.storm@xxxxxxxxxx

Drecomm BV "Internet Intelligence"
Opensource Internet Solutions

Groningen office:
    Hoendiep 208
    9745 ED  Groningen, The Netherlands
    T:  +31 (0)50 577 58 22
    F:  +31 (0)50 577 58 23

Rotterdam office,  Walenburgerweg 46,  3033 AD  Rotterdam
Amersfoort office, Bergstraat 25, 3811 NE  Amersfoort