Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen will deprecated? Is it to old?

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen will deprecated? Is it to old?
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:47:53 -0200
Cc: jean-baptiste.favre@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:48:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=z6yGxdY9VZw6cIUe1jtgZsWTD0pJQ38wlRIP1iMXLQA=; b=a+knhOJiNGgJwt0VMfIXdzvyZbNr6WTowJXUErqmdPVAVGtN1mI8HsLC6BlWlfwD9A RbJkkCzQRnEhboaR39UPkIXxXpaoeOoRZr55TqG46wSbns+ytlOd+qtYHTC+bZQyq9yY y1v/o/3Re95/6cEo++eC/6IuCRM+RVQjxx96E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I guess the Debian team will not continue to port forward the old fashion Xen patches (from the 2.6.18...) but, when the mainline Linux came with dom0 pv_ops included by default, the Debian team will just enable the dom0 option...

;-)

Cheers!
Thiago

2009/10/20 Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 06:43:30AM -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:
> <jean-baptiste.favre@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > As I understand the mail, it just seems that specific Dom0 kernel
> will
> > disappear in next Debien stable release.
> > For the time being, when you want to build a Debian Dom0, you have
> > install a specific "Xen-enabled" kernel.
> > Starting Squeeze, all these functionnalities will be intergrated in
> the
> > default kernel.
> >
> > Regards,
> > JB
> >
> > Alexandr R. Ogurtzoff a écrit :
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm confused why Xen is deprecated in the next Debian release, does
> it
> >> mean Xen dying? What is alternative? KVM?
> >> I've heard RH also is going to promote KVM only in a future
> releases.
> >> Can someone elaborate what does it mean?
> >> Thank You in advance.
> >>
> >> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.announce/1407
> >>
> >> " xen dom 0
> >> +++++++++
> >>
> >> This feature will be included in the squeeze kernel release subject
> >> ongoing stabilisation work. The feature will be marked as
> deprecated
> >> and will not appear in future releases. "
>
> As far as RedHat going KVM, yes, that's the virtualization technology
> that RedHat has decided to pursue.  I don't know if that means that Xen
> will be completely unavailable in RedHat, or if it just means that KVM
> will be the one they push by default in new installations.  If you go to
> the linux-kvm.org page, you'll notice the Redhat logo in the bottom
> corner - they purchased the company Qumranet, which is the primary
> funder of KVM development.

Redhat will support Xen (including dom0) in RHEL5 for the whole
lifetime.. that's until 2014 or so.

RHEL6 will have Xen domU support.. I think. So you can run RHEL6 Xen
domUs on RHEL5 dom0 (or some other dom0).

-- Pasi