Re: [Xen-users] xen networking Fedora 8

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Bojana Petrovic <bojanap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Fajar,
> I understand what you mean, I need one more thing. I need my virtual
> machines to have multiple network interfaces. Like I described before, in
> CentOS I managed it with network-bridge-custom file and by pointing on those
> new bridges in domU's config files. Here on Fedora I can make bridges using
> OS's scripts, but I'm not sure weather to bind them to the bridge that has
> access to outside world?
>
> Shall I give them static IP addresses?

You can, if you want to. Or you can just simply use something like this:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br6
DEVICE=br6
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth4.6
DEVICE=eth4.6
VLAN=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br6

In that example br6 has a slave interface, eth4.6, which has access to
public IP address. By specifying BOOTPROTO=static (or none) and give
no IP address, both interfaces (eth4.6 and br6) will be up with no IP
address. So you can have domU with access to public internet but dom0
itself accessable only from private network.

Think an L2-switch, and you'll see what I mean.

> Additionally I do not know how to point on them in DomU’s config files,
> because new config files are in new format S-expression, which in my case,
> cancel all changes I did manually after the start of virtual machines?

virt-install creates xend-managed domUs by default, but you don't have
to use new format if you don't want to. Just use old-style config.
Here's an example:

# cat /etc/xen/config/test
name = "test"
memory = "500"
disk =  [
        'phy:rootvg/testrootlv,hda1,w',
        ]
vif =   [
        'mac=00:16:3E:4D:19:81, bridge=br6'
        ]
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
vcpus=1

Using that config, I can create that domU with a simple "xm create test"

--
Fajar