[Xen-users] Re: iscsi and block-attach with GPLPV

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you try the latest 0.10.0.130 release? It's unlikely that the bug
> fixes there are relevant to you but it's worth a shot.

Done. I used zfs-rollback and installed latest version.

> Can you tell me the exact block-attach syntax you are using, and what
> appears in /var/log/xen/qemu-<domname>.log when you do?

# xm block-attach win2008-template phy:/dev/sda hdb w

at this time the windows console says a new xen vbd device is
installed successfully. At least this is different from the last
version. After that, a popup appears asking to restart, and device
manager shows a new xen block device with exclamation mark, and
properties says "This driver is not configured correctly (Code 1). You
need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this
device will take effect."

qemu-dm log attached.

After restart, I can safely remove the disk using "xm block-detach"
and Windows says "safe to remove hardware". Attach-detach the disk (or
other disk image) as hdb works as expected now. However attaching it
as another device (e.g. xvda) brings the "you need to restart" dialog.
So for "xm block-attach", it seems to work, but with the issue of
Windows needs to restart once after recognizing a new block device.
Why is that?.

As for iscsi, after I connect to iscsi server, the Device section of
iscsi initiator simply says "Name: Disk-1, Address: Port 4: Bus 0:
Target 0: Lun 0". No volume path, legacy device name, or device
interface name. Device Manager has "Microsoft iscsi initiator", disk
drive does not show any new disks. Disconnect doesn't work (it simply
display hourglass cursor). I had to destroy domU, and recreate it.
When booting with NOGPLPV, iscsi initiator works as expected. Volume
Path says "E:\;F:\", Legacy device name  "\\.\PhysicalDrive1". Do you
also need qemu-dm log for this?

--
Fajar