RE: [Xen-users] maximum domU performance

To: "Bruce Edge" <bruce.edge@xxxxxxxxx>, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] maximum domU performance
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:40:11 -0400
Cc: Zu <zuzhihui@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen User-List <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:42:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dom0 can share a core, but it'll be timesliced if the dom0 has things to
do.  Which may not be good overall.  I like to pin dom0 to one (or more)
core, and leave everything else to domU.

Whether this helps you or not depends on what the domU is doing.  If
your domU is compute-intensive, it may benefit from having access to all
cores.  But if it routinely does any block or network I/O, the dom0
needs to get involved, since that's where the backend drivers usually
run.  And if dom0 has to wait for a CPU to  become available, that may
delay domU I/O.

-Jeff