[Xen-users] Extremely slow disk access -- is there a way to optimize?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Extremely slow disk access -- is there a way to optimize?
From: Aquatic Bigfoot <aquaticbigfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:07:51 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:08:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've installed Xen on a new server with Intel Xeon E5520 CPUs and 24GB of RAM, the OS is CentOS 5.3. I've copied over some virtual machines from another Xen machine and they all seem to run a lot slower. The virtual machines are allocated 512 RAM and one virtual CPU each. Running anything that accesses the disk such as yum update or compiling drives the load up and the virtual machine becomes unresponsive. On the previous Xen machine, with a single CPU and 2GB of RAM I didn't run into this issue. The virtual machines are file based, not LVM, and were file based on the previous machine. I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why there is such a huge performance issue moving the virtual machines to a beefier server.

-AQ