RE: [Xen-users] SOLUTION: GPL PV xen net settings

Subject: RE: [Xen-users] SOLUTION: GPL PV xen net settings
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:06:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 07:07:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        The vbd type is news to me.  You shouldn't have to do that, as the
GPLPV drivers should hide the rtl8139.  In the past, there was occasionally
an issue where the drivers wouldn't hide the HVM HD, causing corruption
because of parallel hard disks, but I don't recall such an issue with
networks at all.  Assuming the vbd type means pv only, then if there were a
type=vbd option for disk drives as well, that would prevent such a disaster,
and possibly (with a different installation procedure) allow for a
functional HVM CD-Rom drive in versions prior to 3.4.x (type=vbd on HD but
not CD-Rom, potentially along with a different, not necessarily existent
boot.ini setting).  I don't know whether or not the type option even exists
for HDs, or whether my theory is accurate regardless, but the thought is out
there now if anyone wants to mess with it.
        Dustin