Re: [Xen-users] qemu-ifup error (was: network-route and vif-route setup

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] qemu-ifup error (was: network-route and vif-route setup help)
From: William Wagner <will_wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:39:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:40:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 04/10/2009 12:49, Will Wagner wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to configure a hosted machine to run a number fo virtual
machines. The DomU is CentOS 5 with Xen 3.0.

I have to use routed networking as the ISP has set the switch to
disconnect the port if it receives traffic from any other MAC. My
situation is identical to this posting:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-03/msg00725.html

I have followed the suggestion in that thread (See this post for what he
got to work:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-03/msg00949.html)
and am running the domU with:

vif = [ "ip=domU_IP_HERE,bridge=virbr0" ]
ip = "domU_IP_HERE"
netmask="255.255.255.255"
gateway="10.255.255.1"

I have looked at this some more and realised the problem is with the line:

vif = [ "ip=domU_IP_HERE,bridge=virbr0" ]

I do not want the interface to be connected to the virtual bridge. Looking at all the examples on the net it would appear that I should not specify a bridge at all.

However if I start the interface with

vif = [ "ip=domU_IP_HERE" ]

Then my virtual machine does not start. In /var/log/qemu-****.log I see:

domid: 33
qemu: the number of cpus is 1
Watching /local/domain/33/logdirty/next-active
/etc/xen/qemu-ifup: could not launch network script
Could not initialize device 'tap'

The problem is that it is trying to call brtctl between xenbr0 and the vif. The problem is that for a routed network there is no xenbr0 so it returns an error.

What bridge should be specified when using a routed setup? Is it still correct that it calls qemu-ifup at all?

Thanks

Will

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA