[Xen-users] Move vm to new dom0 on different hardware

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Move vm to new dom0 on different hardware
From: pj@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:22:13 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:51:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
List,

I had an unpleasant surprise the other day with VMware Server, and would
like to know if the same is true for Xen.

VMware Server issue:
For some reason a VMware Server breaks down and is not able to restart. I
copy a vm to another machine running VMware Server, but on different
hardware, especially a different diskcontroller.

When starting the vm on the new server, the linux instance is complaining
about a missing diskcontroller and thus does not come up. That took me by
surprise as I thought the diskcontroller the vm instance "sees", is the
same no matter what the underlying hardware is running on. Apparently not.

Now, my question is this:
If I move a Xen vm from one server to another, and the 2 dom0's are running
on different hardware, will I experience the same type of problem ?

Regards
Per