[Xen-users] Re: Cannot ping newly created XEN client running SLES10

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Cannot ping newly created XEN client running SLES10
From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:19:41 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 02:21:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
c.monty@xxxxxx wrote:
hi!

I'm running multiple clients on a SLES10 server.

Is this dom0, domU or both?

These clients can be accessed in local network with ping.

Do you see the interface at all using "ifconfig -a" on domU?
Any RX/TX activity?
Any traffic when starting tcpdump on it?

When I create a new client with existing disk-files (copy of a running guest),
I can start/boot the guest system.

Did you also copy the configuration file? If yes, did you modify the mac address?

However, I cannot ping the guest.

This would be one of the last things to check if the previous tests above indicate a working interface.

Is this related to an issue with the network bridge?
How can I resolve it?

I think this more likely related to either the config file (mac address collision) or udev in domU (if you copied the domU image udev will still reserve eth0 for the previous interface, identified by mac address)

Please note:
Displaying the network details (tab Hardware - Network), it shows
"bridge" in column Type, "-" in column Source,
"etho" in column Device

This is very Suse specific, please try to give more general information (ifconfig, brctl) and always mention if the information comes from dom0 or domU.

Best regards,
   Christian