[Xen-users] Manually create Fedora domU on CentOS 5.3 dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Manually create Fedora domU on CentOS 5.3 dom0
From: Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:08:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:09:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am trying to setup a Fedora 11 domU on my CentOS 5.3 dom0 installation.

I want it to use a dom0 LVM partition as its root partition instead of as a
virtual disk. I understand that Fedora's anaconda won't allow me to do this.

I found this thread on xen-users
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-06/msg00650.html
Which refers to an Amazon EC2 tech doc, explaining how to install Fedora on a
single root filesystem.

Following these instructions, I managed to install fedora 11 on an LVM
partition. However, when attempting to start this setup as a Xen PV, I get
this error right after pygrub finishes:
Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Will only load images
built for the generic loader or Linux images')

I'm not sure how to proceed here. Is a special initrd required in a PV
environment ?

More details:
My environment is all 32 bit (xen, dom0, domU)
dom0 kernel is 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5.centos.plusxen
xen is gitco xen 3.3.1
domU kernel is 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586

Geert

--