Re: [Xen-users] Cannot start PV guests

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cannot start PV guests
From: Andreas Sommer <AndiDog@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:50:53 +0100
Cc: XenUsers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:54:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Andreas Sommer<AndiDog@xxxxxx> wrote:

[    0.110575] console [tty0] enabled

This one is weird. You should have two consoles, one of them is hvc0

extra = "video=xenfb xencons=tty1"
vfb = ['type=vnc,vncdisplay=10']

Try this :
- remove (or mark) those two lines
- setup domU's /etc/inittab to spawn login prompt on hvc0

In my last testing, 2.6.30 somehow won't work (similar simptom as
yours) if I enable Xen frame buffer. If I disable it (comment out vfb
line) it works fine on Xen serial console, so perhaps it the same
case.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that tomorrow.

I have successfully tested that domain (Debian lenny installed with
debootstrap) on another machine that runs the 2.6.18.8-xen kernel which
ships with Xen. But on this notebook, only Xen-unstable with 2.6.30-rc6
works, and I can't start PV domains.

If you know that 2.6.18 kernel works, why not use that for domU
kernel? dom0 and domU kernel does not have to be the same version. It
doesn't even have to be the same OS.

In my experience, dom0 and PV domU kernels of different versions don't always work together perfectly. Anyway, the reason why I'm not using the tested 2.6.18.8-xen kernel is that it does not work - I don't remember the problem so I'll try that kernel again tomorrow.