Re: [Xen-users] Two v.3.4.1 downloads

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM, ken<gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm guessing, then, that the xen tools source needs to be compiled.
> And the patched linux kernel (of the "support source tarball") needs
> also to be compiled and then replaces the kernel that came with whatever
> distro I'm using, yes?

Yes, if you want to compile everything.
Not necessarily, if you simply want a working setup, as you could use
Xen 3.x with RHEL's bundled kernel-xen.

>> A lot of Xenites use Centos, but it's not required.
>
> Haven't tried CentOS yet, but have heard good about it.  It uses RPMs,
> right?  I'd like to use Fedora (just for the RedHat name really), but
> have heard they make it a pain to get their packages.  Corroboration,
> anyone?

If you use RHEL/Centos you can use Gitco's Xen packages
http://www.gitco.de/repo/

This is basically the compiled version of Xen hypervisor and tools.
You still use RHEL's kernel-xen. This is the easiest way for
RHEL/Centos users to use Xen 3.4.1, and should work great for normal
setups.

Some newer features (like scsi passthrough) might not work in this
configuration though, due to lack of kernel support.

--
Fajar