RE: [Xen-users] Windows 2000 server VM on Xen open source CPU hog?

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows 2000 server VM on Xen open source CPU hog?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:44:47 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 02:45:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > I had a look at GPLPV but quickly realised Windows 2000 wasn't
supported...

> James, if I remember correctly, you mentioned something about newer
> Xen version or Intel CPUs emulating the TPR register.
> Would upgrading to (say) Xen 3.4 help reduce CPU load on vanilla
> Win2000 under Xen?

I'm not sure exactly where that support got to and how it compares to
the no-tpr optimisations that Microsoft made in 2003sp2.

It wouldn't peg the cpu's at 200% though - I suspect the problem lies
elsewhere, although the tpr issue may be adding to it.

James