RE: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] And another gplpv update

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] And another gplpv update
From: Joshua Kinard <joshua.kinard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:37:27 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:38:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Server 2008 R2 is basically Windows 7 in server mode.

MS Uses the same underlying kernel architecture for both their consumer
releases and server releases now, the goal they've been chasing since the
release of Windows 2000.  That was NT 5.0.  XP was NT 5.1, Server 2003 [R2] was
NT 5.2, and Vista was initially NT 6.0.  Reportedly (MS has never confirmed
this), Vista SP1 was the final alignment, and they swapped in Server 2008's
kernel code, making the build 6.0.6001 as of Vista SP1 and Server 2008 SP1 (it
was released as SP1).  SP2 is 6.0.6002.

Now, Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 are both NT 6.1.  They should be matched at
this point, and will enable MS to focus a lot more on fixing/patching/securing
a single codebase, instead of the disparate lines they used to have.

Kind of an extension of the information at this URL:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/14/why-7.aspx

HTH,

--J