Re: [Xen-users] Bonding...again

To: Adam Wead <awead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Bonding...again
From: Christian Fischer <Christian.Fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:58:17 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 23:59:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Adam Wead wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this topic has been discussed a lot on this list, and I've been
> going over some posts from months past trying to get things to work on
> my end, but I need another appeal for help.  I'm setting up a dom0
> under Red Hat EL5, with 2 NICs.  From looking over the old posts, it
> looks like the best way to do this is to create bonds, vlans and
> bridges under Red Hat and bypass Xen's initial network-bridge script.
> I looked at what Fajar had said:
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-05/msg00992.html
>
> And I tried duplicating this, mind you, without the patched ifup
> script and setup something like this:
>
> - (eth1 + eth2) = bond0 with mode 2
> - create VLAN bond0.2 to bond0
> - attach bridge xenbr0 to bond0.2
> - modified xend-config file: (vif-script 'vif-bridge bridge=xenbr0')
>
> This appears to work, but when I create guests and attach them to the
> xenbr0, no dice.  My question is, is the above correct and where to
> the IPs go?  Dom0 has it's own IP address, but what interface/bond/
> VLAN does that go under?  Should the other items have IPs as well?
>
> My network kung fu is limited, so I apologize in advance if these are
> stupid questions.
>
> many thanks,
>
> ...adam

That's quite simple.

- create the bond interface bond0
- bring it up, assign no ip
- create the bridge br0, bridge interfaces: bond0, bring it up
- assign the dom0 ip to br0, set up the default route
- create domU

replace the network-bridge script with a network-bridge-dummy script which
does nothing and ever returns 0

configure domUs vif like
vif = [ 'mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, bridge=br0' ]

I don't know how networking is configureed with Red Hat EL5, as sample for
better understanding (i hope) all the stuff for gentoo:

# file /etc/conf.d/net
slaves_bond0="eth0 eth1"
config_bond0=("null")
bridge_br0="bond0"
config_br0=("192.168.x.x/23 brd 192.168.x.x")
routes_br0=("default via 192.168.x.x")
dns_domain_br0="<your domain>"
dns_servers_br0="192.168.x.x"

# file /etc/xen/config/domU_xxx
[snip]
vif = [ 'mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, bridge=br0' ]
[snip]

# file /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
[snip]
(network-script network-bridge-dummy)
[snip]

# file /etx/xen/scripts/networ-bridge-dummy

#!/bin/bash
# dummy xen bridge script

exit 0
# EOF

run
# /etc/init.d/net.bond0 start
# /etc/init.d/net.br0 start
# xm create /etc/xen/config/domU_xxx

If you have any questions about my bond configuration i'll share it with you,
of course.

Hope that helps a bit.
Christian
        --- Frank Vincent Zappa