RE: [Xen-users] 82574L PCI Express NIC in Xen

To: <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 82574L PCI Express NIC in Xen
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:19:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:22:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Intel is usually a safe bet for networking, and the e1000/e1000e drivers
are ubiquitous.  We run CentOS and I've never had to go looking for a
network driver for my distribution.

Are you looking for that exact chipset for a reason, or do you just need
a PCI-Express GigE card?  The chipsets undergo frequent revisions, and
newer models may be improved compared to what you used prior.

You can get these on Amazon.com too, if you like.  Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Port-Server-Adapter/dp/B00154QKAY/

Jeff

NIC was
> compatible with the 2.6.18 kernel.  I have been searching the net and
found
> some kernel log indicating that support was added in 2.6.28, but
buy.com
> lists the NIC as supporting Xen, so I am not sure what to think.  Can
anyone
> tell me whether the NIC would be supported in Fedora 8 or Centos 5.3?
While
> I am guessing it wouldn't, as I don't see any kernel rpms, would using
Xen
> 3.4 from http://www.gitco.de/repo/ with CentOS increase or decrease
the
> likelihood that the NIC would be supported?  Also, can anyone tell me
if
> 3.4.1 rpms are on the way to gitco?  I need to use GPLPV drivers in
Windows
> XP, and I understand the newer versions to work better with 3.4.1 than
with
> prior versions (though I don't know if this applies to XP or only
newer
> OSes).
>       The NIC is an Intel EXPI9301CT (with the 82574L chipset); I
don't
> intend to buy it from buy.com, they just happened to show up when I
did a
> search for xen 82574L, so my source may not have any given alternative
> suggestions.  However, any suggestions are appreciated.  I prefer to
stick
> with CentOS because I am more familiar with this flavor than the
Debian/BSD
> based ones, and as that comment may indicate, my Linux knowledge is a
bit
> stale because I have to spend most of my time dealing with XP.  Also,
before
> anyone comments on the use of an end of life OS, the only reason I am
> currently using F8 instead of Centos 5 is that the onboard NIC (that
just
> died) wasn't supported in CentOS when I installed F8 (before its end
of
> life).
>       Assuming the NIC isn't natively supported in the Fedora 8 or
CentOS
> 5.3 repo-provided xen kernels, would I be able to somehow use this:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commi
t;h=