Re: [Xen-users] Install Xen on Intel Atom Processor

To: Peter Booth <peter_booth@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install Xen on Intel Atom Processor
From: Rainer Fuegenstein <rfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:07:14 +0200
Cc: Ryan Chan <ryanchan404@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 03:07:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter Booth wrote:

I'd sooner pay $500 for a 2GHz core 2 duo that is 5x as powerful as an atom.

I'm currently working on a (leisure) project with the goal to operate a linux server 24/7 just by solar power (electricity generated by photovoltaic panels).

in theory, the 230Ah battery should keep the hardware (intel atom N270, mainboard intel D945GSEJT, 1 GB SO-DIMM, 80 GB 2.5" SATA HD) running for 4 to 7 days without power input from the panels (and, of course, longer depending on the amount of sun hours).

the total cost for this configuration is about $200 (mainboard, ram, HD). first, that's not that expensive and second, to keep your suggested hardware running 24/7 would require much more money for higher battery capacity and bigger solar panels.

to ryan:
OS on the atom board is centos 5.3 with kernel 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5xen. boots and runs fine, but haven't yet installed any DomU's.

cu

Sent from my iPhone