[Xen-users] Re: iscsi/nfs/aoe SAN storage for Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: iscsi/nfs/aoe SAN storage for Xen
From: Mark Lancaster <marklanc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:07:08 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:08:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NexentaStor - I have not used this product.

Openfiler - Very quick and easy to set up, and openfiler supports many different protocols.  64-bit linux install.  The web interface is decent, but can get clunky when using with a very large LDAP directory.  Active Directory integration was not exactly "cake", and I had to google quite a bit to discover that the configs require everything IN CAPS.  If you are only using this for iSCSI it might be overkill, but the ease of the web interface could be good multiple admins.

FreeNAS - Fired this up to check out, but being 32-bit and FreeBSD, it wasn't considered highly.  I honestly didn't spend much time with it.  The install was easy.

iSCSITarget - I have been testing this with CentOS 5.3.  If the web interface of openfiler is not a big sell for you, then this might be preferable if all you need is iSCSI/FOSS.  I actually found myself tinkering with config files to get openfiler to do what I needed anyway.

Hope that helps,

/mark