[Xen-users] A few questions about creating/restoring VM's...

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] A few questions about creating/restoring VM's...
From: Travis Bell <travisbell@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 13:49:42 +1000
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 May 2009 20:53:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey guys,

I have 3 Xen VM's running in production and am overall very pleased, 2 things that have stumped me that I was hoping some Xen pros might be able to enlighten me about are is the following:

1) Most of the documentation I read says that my Xen config files should be name like "domain.sxp" but all of my configs are in a randomly generated (id looking) folder in /var/lib/xend/domains, as an example: e7850ca2-aaf1-5c92-f62d-cb29e5859d33. Is that ok?

2) I have been looking for the best way to create an easy to restore copy and seem to have figured most of this out. My question is, if I have a backup of the config, is it possible to use xen-create-image and build a new VM from scratch with the exact same config? I'd like to simply be able to (in the even of a system failure) grab a copy of the VM and rebuild the Xen VM's. I have Google's aplenty but no one seems to be unanimous on the best way to do this.

Thanks guys!

--
Travis Bell