Re: [Xen-users] Limiting domU network?

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Limiting domU network?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 15:50:09 +0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 May 2009 01:50:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> terii wang wrote:
>>
>> Is there any way to limit or throttle domU's network? Something similar
>> like the CPU cap/weight?
>
> You could employ traffic shaping on the network, that's what we do at work.
> It's quite easy to nest HTB classes

> You could do this on the Dom0, but I suspect that might be quite tricky. We
> do it on the boundary router - which is closest to the bottleneck.

So your boundary router is Linux, with tc?
Can you share your config / HTB init scripts?
Last time I tried it was ... confusing (to say it politely) and
testing with iperf does not show the desired traffic limit. Then again
it might be because of iperf was short and bursty.

As a sidenote, I believe opensolaris dom0 has an easy way to specify
the speed (in Mbps) for domU's NIC as a parameter in domU config file.
But that's mainly because their "bridging" framework (crossbow)
supports creating a virtual NIC with specified speed limit, so all Xen
has to do is create a wrapper around it.

Regards,

Fajar