Re: [Xen-users] Interrupt distribution

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Interrupt distribution
From: "ITZIAR BALENCIAGA" <ibalenciaga@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:43:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:44:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm sorry if I haven't explained myself well. All these things are new for me and probably I haven't done it ok. I'll try it again. Here it is my previous mail where I explain more or less what I want to do:
---
first of all I'd like to thank you for helping me with all the problems I've had. My system works fine and that couldn't be possible without you. Now I have another question for you:
In my system there are two domains and I want one of them to be almost isolated. What I mean is that I want nearly all the interrupts to be handled by the domU while the dom0 takes care of just a NMI. An example could be dom0 handling IRQ1 and domU taking care of the rest.I've read that in some tools like the RTS Hypervisor it's possible distributing the interrupts between the different domUs and I supose something similar can be done with XEN. Is it possible doing something more or less like that? Which configuration files need to be modified? In the manuals I've read until now I couldn't find any information about it and I hope someone something about this.
I can just use xm commands because virt-manager and virsh commands don't seem to work for me.
---

You are right when you think about a real-time system with Xen. I have a dual core and up to now I have installed Xen to have a dom0 with Linux and a domU with Windows. I've set CPU affinity so that each OS has his own core. My idea is putting the real-time part in the linux part and the interface in Windows. The real-time part works like this: an interrupt is generated and send every x ms. It interrupts the system and some values are taken. Then the interface uses this vale to make several operations. What I want is that when anything happens the windows part to handle it. That is, that nothing disturbs the real-time part in order to maintain the necessary performance.
In a simple way what I want is something like telling the interrupts where they have to go to be handled, if they have to go to core 0 or 1.
I hope my explanation was clearer now and my idea is understandable.

Thanks for your patience.

Itziar