[Xen-users] Problem with Xen bridge on Debian Lenny

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem with Xen bridge on Debian Lenny
From: Antoine Benkemoun <antoine.benkemoun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:43:36 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 02:44:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Xen-Users,

I am trying to make Xen work on Debian Lenny and I'm getting pretty desperate... I am trying to install Xen on a battery of Dell Optiplex's 755. I am using Debian Lenny because I am rather familiar with it and Debian Etch doesn't work (no network drivers and no CD-ROM drivers).

I have installed Xen many times on Debian Etch with binaries and source and it has worked wonderfully. But today's matter is quite different.

I have tried installing Xen 3.2.1 from Debian repos and Xen 3.3.1 from source. Both installs go smoothly. Yet the problem is the same on both.

Now the killer problem... When I boot into Xen everything works fine except... the networking. The interface that was recognized as eth0 when I was with Debian (no Xen) now become eth1 for some unknown reason. The line responsible for this is the following :

tpxen kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1

So in Xen I have eth1. I enabled (network-script network-bridge) as well as (vif-script vif-bridge). No bridge appears and no vif interfaces, no nothing except eth1 and lo.

My dom0 has network connectivity but when I start my VM they do not start correctly since Xen cannot find the bridge. When I do brctl show, the bridge does not appear either. Nothing about the bridge in the dmesg ou in the kernel messages.

There is something in the xend.log but I don't know what it means:

INFO (XendNetwork:114) Not recreating missing unmanaged network xenbr0

Could anyone help me out with this ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Antoine Benkemoun