Re: [Xen-users] Why does DomU CPU usage increase during live migration?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Why does DomU CPU usage increase during live migration?
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:26:18 -0500
Cc: "S. Ercan Yüzbasioglu" <ercan.yuzbasioglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:27:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
S. Ercan Yüzbasioglu wrote:
> I would expect that Dom0 should be the only domain whose CPU usage is
> supposed to increase. The migration process is supposed to be transparent to
> the DomU, right? So I cannot justify this behaviour. Does anybody have an
> idea about this?

two ideas:

1- Xen's Hypervisor is doing a heavy work, and charges it to the DomU's credit,
therefore the scheduler gives less CPU time to the 'real' DomU, so it gets less
idle time, so higher CPU usage.

2- the migration system uses MMU facilities to mark which pages have changed
after copied (so they have to be recopied).  that marking makes the whole DomU
RAM look a bit like virtual memory (backed by real RAM), temporarily increasing
overhead, and making all processes in DomU slightly slower.

--
Javier