Re: [Xen-users] expanding img file

To: Paul Eskello <paul.eskello@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] expanding img file
From: Alexis de BRUYN <alexis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:22:43 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:23:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Paul,

On Debian (Etch/Lenny), I've successfully expanded img files, several
times, with the following commands (from
http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.php/Resize/Increase_the_Size_of_a_File_Based_DomU_Xen_Filesystem)
:

Backup the File based image firstly, making sure it is not mounted nor
running as a xen domU.

dd if=/dev/zero of=file.img bs=1M conv=notrunc count=1 seek=2000
#This resizes the file.img to 2GB.
losetup /dev/loop1 file.img
#loop1 had to be used as xen was already running a different domU via loop0.
e2fsck -f /dev/loop1
resize2fs /dev/loop1
e2fsck -f /dev/loop1
losetup -d /dev/loop1

I am not really familiar with Centos, I hope this will work for you.

Best regards,

Paul Eskello a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I use xen on centos 5.2 x86 and used virt-install to create a few
> virtual machines.
>
> A few days ago centos 5.3 emerged, but I did not allocate enough
> diskspace for these virtual machines, only 2 gb. That's way too small
> for running yum-upgrade.
>
> So I tried to increase them. With no luck. I found a howto that
> instructs me to mount -o loop /mnt /vm/foo.img, but that fails:
> "mount: you must specify the filesystem type" .
>
> Specifying ext2 says:
> "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so"
>
> In dmesg:
> "loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
> hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
> VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop0."
>
> Another option I saw was just appending a gigabyte of /dev/zero using
> dd. I did that, but the diskspace in the virtual machine stays 2gb.
>
> I think I ran outta options.
> Any hints or advice ? Besides building new machines from scratch using
> the correct sizes ;-/
>
> Regards.

Alexis de BRUYN
email : alexis@xxxxxxxxxxx