Re: [Xen-users] how to add custom kernel onto jailtime.org's gentoo ima

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Fajar,
>
> I use HyperVM to manage the XEN domU virtual machines, and from what I
> understand, it does run a XEN kernel
>
> Linux usaxen01.softdux.com 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen #1 SMP Mon Oct 22
> 09:01:12 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> The domU runs on Gentoo, so I don't know if it's the same as for
> CentOS, in terms of installing a xen kernel?

It's the same in that once you have a working kernel inside domU, you
can use it by changing xen config file to use pygrub. That is:
- in domU config file, comment-out "kernel" and "ramdisk" line, change it to
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
- in domU, create a file /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.conf
which has contents similar to this

default=0
timeout=5
hiddenmenu
title RHEL5-xen-domU
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-xen ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-xen.img

- make sure domU's initrd has xenblk if it's compiled as module
instead of built-in.

Now the actual kernel package, content of grub.conf, and initrd would
be different in Gentoo.

> I tried emerge --search xen, but the results weren't very good. Any
> suggestions?

This might help
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-04/msg00004.html

Regards,