Re: AW: [Xen-users] DomU freezes during boot

2009/3/31 Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sure,  getting this rinse bug fixed you'll get login to DomU.
> I just cannot understand why old fashioned style of PV DomUs
> setup ( with all kind of debootstrap's fun) seems so attractive on the
> system having virt-install ready to go.
> Please, advise. Where i am wrong ?

I don't know about Andrew's reasons for using rinse or xen-tools
(which I never use), but personally I prefer manual-way instead of
virt-install because I'm using a template (tar.gz) for domU deployment
so I can create a new domU in 5 minutes or less.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I hope that's not out of etiquette.

But anyway, Fajar, I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on your template deployment method? I have recently been thinking about the best way to approach this. After creating some CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu PV DomUs (each have their own kernel in the FS) which work; I'm now wondering the best way to capture them to use as a template in the future.

I made all installations using LVM volumes, -disk, and -swap files. I was first planning on simply cloning the LVM volumes but it doesn't seem efficient.

I take it you simply have archived the entire disk filesystem and just extract into new disk images/LVM files when deploying? With scripts to modify config files? Is this the generally accepted 'best solution' for DomU deployment?

Regards