Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to

To: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to it.
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Mar 2009 01:38:25 -0400
Cc: Xen-user List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:31:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Some of the reasons: CentOS is just plain stupid, rpm and yum are plain
> buggy, upgrades are a real pain, yum is so slow and memory eating,

rpm is, yes, suboptimal.

the advantage of CentOS is twofold.

1. you can get a lot of money SysAdmining RHEL boxes for big dumb companies
that feel they need to pay for things.    the other side of that coin is
that there are a lot of SysAdmins familiar with the RedHat way of doing
things.

2. RHEL actually does a pretty good job testing things, and keeping things
stable and compatable within a release.   You are pretty safe running
'yum update'  and rebooting.   With many other distros, well, often an
upgrade actually changes things.