Re: [Xen-users] Performance difference between a "partition image file"

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Performance difference between a "partition image file" and a compressed file system
From: "Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)" <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:15:22 +0100
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:16:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Kevin

I do not have numbers, but the partition based option should have a better performance. You can try yourself that, running a benchmark like bonnie++ inside your image file domU as well as inside your partition based domU.

Then, you will have numbers to share with us ;-)

Cheers,

Kevin McKeon wrote:
Does anyone know how significant the performance hit is when using a partition image file for the file system of a domU instance as opposed to using a file system on a separate disk? For example: disk =['tap:aio:/xen/images/mydomU_partition.img,xvda1,w']
*vs*
disk =['phy:hda1,xvda1,w']
I realize the second config would be faster, but will the first one work pretty well? Does anyone know of any performance papers written on this subject? Cheers,
Kevin

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira

NMR Spectroscopy Research Group
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Bloembergen gebouw
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands