RE: [Xen-users] Crash after update

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Crash after update
From: <p1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:28:54 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:30:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yep, I didn't have a problem earlier either with Ubuntu.
Anyway, I figured out what happened, so for future searchers, here are some details...

The problem was two-fold.  First, the xen kernel wouldn't boot, crashed with a Call Trace that wasn't much use to me.  As a troubleshooting step, I wanted to boot into the host using the original Ubuntu kernel, but that wasn't working because of the Second problem, which was that the console wasn't available, seemingly hanging during the startup process.

Fortunately, all networking services were starting properly, so I was able to SSH into the box and review logs, which revealed that tty1 was crashing repeatedly, hence no console!

Upon reviewing the /etc/event.d/tty1 file, I found that it's been modified, so I changed it back to match another system that was working in a similar setup.

The BAD tty1 file was:

    # xvc0 - getty
    #
    # This service maintains a getty on xvc0 from the point the system is
    # started until it is shut down again.

    start on stopped rc2
    start on stopped rc3
    start on stopped rc4
    start on stopped rc5

    stop on runlevel 0
    stop on runlevel 1
    stop on runlevel 6

    respawn
    exec /sbin/getty 38400 xvc0
While the GOOD tty1 file was:

    # tty1 - getty
    #
    # This service maintains a getty on tty1 from the point the system is
    # started until it is shut down again.

    start on stopped rc2
    start on stopped rc3
    start on stopped rc4
    start on stopped rc5

    stop on runlevel 0
    stop on runlevel 1
    stop on runlevel 6

    respawn
    exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty1
I believe that 'xvc0' should be used on domUs, not on dom0.  I'm not sure how that changed, perhaps one of the updates did that.  Anyway, so that solved the secondary problem.

The xen kernel not booting, to make a long story short, was an out-of-memory problem.  Per best practice recommendations, I originally limited dom0's memory using the kernel switch dom0_mem=128M which was just a little bit too small.  Perhaps one of the updates made it so that the system required just a tad more RAM.  Upon increasing to 196M, everything works fine.

--
Peter