RE: [Xen-users] Storage alternatives

To: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Storage alternatives
From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:13:58 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Jan, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marquardt <jm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:15:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honestly, I'd probably suggest you discard the idea entirely and switch to
using heartbeat to manage the iSCSI resources.  Alternatively, I believe you
could also use iSCSI multipath to point to two initiators presenting the same
DRBD backed volume.

Consider your failure scenario:

If you have a storage node go offline in your current configuration for any
real length of time, when it becomes available again, all of the nodes will
begin to resync the array simultaneously.  With a single DomU, you'll just
consume the vast majority of either your Disk IO or Network IO.  However, if
you had a dozen guests, and they all start to rebuild their RAID1s from the
same source SAN to the same destination SAN, through the same network link (in
and out), at the same time, things are probably going to grind to an absolute
halt.

RAID is nearly always best when it is used right above the physical disks.  The
more layers you put between the RAID and the disks, the more bad things(tm)
seem to occur.

Best Regards,
Nathan Eisenberg
Atlas Networks, LLC