Re: [Xen-users] Urgent Network problem! Virtual network stops working af

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Urgent Network problem! Virtual network stops working after a few minutes/hours
From: Martin Fernau <m.fernau@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:18:58 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:08:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> > I'm using xen 3.3.0 on one server with 3 Guests (2 windows guest with
> > gplpv drivers and one linux). After booting the machine all is fine. The
> > domains came up and network is working. But after several minutes or
> > hours the network stops to work. I can't reach the guests any more! only
> > dom0 is reachable
>
> Has this always been like this or just recently?
The problems just started today. This machine runs "fine" since a few month.
But after a reboot this morning the troubles begun...

> > though the network. I asume the virtual network crashes.
> > How can I find out where the problem is? Log files? command line tools?
> >
> > This is an urgent problem as this machine is a live server! Any help
> > would be very appreciated!
>
> Do you have control over the network switches? Maybe port security is
> enabled on the port in the switch that you are connected to? I had
> this problem and the dom0 and domU would take turns going on and off
> the network every few minutes. I had to tell the network guys to turn
> port security off so that the switch allows multiple MAC addresses on
> the same port.

To be more clear:
I can't reach the guests neither from the network nor from the dom0 itself -
but I can reach then dom0 from the network. This make me think that there must
be something wrong with the internas of xen or the virtual networking stack.

I'm using the bridging mode by the way.

Regards,
Martin