Re: [Xen-users] Mysterious Server Lockups

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Mysterious Server Lockups
From: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:08:31 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:09:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 09:50:03AM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> outages. Not sure I can even call it a lockup, because I could still
> ping dom0, but it's screen was blank, and the domU's were hosed.
Yesterdays "lockup" was slightly different in that I was already
shelled into dom0 when the lockup started. I was out smoking and got
notified. I ran in and for about 10 seconds I was able to do things in
dom0. I made the mistake of trying to correct the problem before
assessing the situation so I didn't get any information :(. I tried
doing and xm shutdown on the vm that was unresponsive at the time. It
wasn't long from there that dom0 was locked and I couldn't even get any
information without rebooting and trying to do post-mortem.

Thanks for sharing, with the steal going up it makes me hope that
upgrading to xen 3.2 will help.

%steal
Show the percentage of time spent in involuntary
wait by the virtual CPU or CPUs while the hypervisor was servicing
another virtual processor.

Anyone else have any thoughts or input?
--
Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>