[Xen-users] Guarding against starting same vm on multiple nodes?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Guarding against starting same vm on multiple nodes?
From: Wayde Nie <xen@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 00:44:02 -0500
Cc: xen@xxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:45:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Everyone,

How do people running multinode xen dom0 clusters, with shared storage
for the domU images ensure that vm's aren't started on more than one
node at a time?

I can't seem to find much info about it through web searches. I asked
the question on this list a few months back and the following thread was
brought to my attention:

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=device+lock#query:devicelock+page:1+mid:ouugxur56hqikqty+state:results

The thread fizzled out pretty early but there was a suggestion that vdb
locks belong in higher level management tools, rather than xend... Would
that include tools like xm? Are there other tools that can take care of
management of vms across multiple nodes and protect against disk
corruption caused by starting the same vm multiple times?

Thanks,
Wayde.