RE: [Xen-users] Windows license on Xen 3.3

To: "Felix Chu" <felixchu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows license on Xen 3.3
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:41:24 +1100
Delivery-date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:42:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi all, I would like to run 10 x Windows 2003 server(enterprise
edition)
> guests VM on top of my Xen3.3 box. Each guest vm need 5 terminal
service
> connections.
>
> I am not sure how to buy the guest license. I think 2 possible ways,
can
> anyone give some idea to me:
>
> 1.      buy 10 x Enterprise edition license and buy 5 TS CAL to each
> window license
>
> 2.      buy 1 x datacenter edition license and buy 50 TS CAL(shared by
all
> guests)
>
> Method 2 should be cheaper, so want to make sure it works or not.

If you are asking a technical question, then yes it should work just
fine, but you can certainly test first without acquiring licenses.

If you are asking a licensing question then you are probably asking in
the wrong place - ask a Microsoft licensing rep. When it comes to
selling you stuff they are more than happy to help :)

That said, last time I checked you could run 4 copies of 1 W2K3 EE
license on the one physical machine (eg they have a clause that allows
for virtualisation).

If you are providing this as a service to customers then you should also
investigate SPLA licensing, which has zero startup costs and you just
pay a monthly amount.

James