[Xen-users] Xen 3.0.3, debian, bridging, bonding and vlans

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.3, debian, bridging, bonding and vlans
From: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:43:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:44:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have a debian server (etch version) running Xen 3.0.3 installed from
debian packages. In this server I have a bonding and I have defined a
few vlans, each on then running in a different bridge.

The problem I have is that I can run VMs in a VLAN different than the
default, that is, different than the interface without tagging, but I
can't run a VM using the default bridge. I'll explain better...

I have different interfaces:

* bond0 (active-passive bonding with eth0 and eth2
* vlan10: Interface defined over bond0 tagging for my vlan 10
* vlan20: Interface defined over bond0 tagging for my vlan 20
* ... (more vlans)

I define a bridge for every vlan (I tried to define use all vlans over
the same bridge, but VM didn't work). So I have:

* xenbr0: Default bridge. It is supposed that bond0 should be included
here.
* xen-br10: Bridge for vlan10. It includes interface vlan10
* xen-br20: Bridge for vlan20. It includes interface vlan20
* ...

I attach my /etc/network/interfaces where is defined all this
configuration.

I use the default network-bridge script included with xen, run from
"my-network-bridge", which is a script I use to launch network-bridge
over all the bridges I use.

With this configuration, I can run VM using bridges different than
xenbr0, but if I try to run a VM using xenbr0 bridge, its network
doesn't work.

Any idea?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez