Re: [Xen-users] Solaris dom0, prebuilt domU?

To: Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Solaris dom0, prebuilt domU?
From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:45 +0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 23:26:32 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:date:from:to:cc:subject :message-id:in-reply-to:references:x-mailer:mime-version :content-type; bh=/U9/UdrGBxklQCAY1Qi6Ia5TJIhO6wUSs1CRe0H/2F8=; b=jBPDBctXBXTgHAHW8mnzPDEqq8qZ2b8/+moL4rdynCEFJujfqIyLMHxJSK6OpUa9j9 6tx45gsqfkFrthvz5f+nG+Xi2UQoG5tFmFNf5azn75tyrm3sF+9wZW9inV8jJKbxDQly 1adrE2sYiGHASsJyK6zk0vlTb9SD6HDX4tS/Q=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 00:43:13 -0600
Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I'm not sure how to do that (Can I just dd it into a
> zfs volume?  Surely not?)

That's really just a loopback image with an ext3/reiserfs or xfs, you
can mount it in a usual way, just like an ISO or initrd image:

 mount /path/to/file.img /some/path -o loop

After that, it's just "cp -ax", or "rsync -axH" (so it'll save some
space by preserving hardlinks).

> and once I solve that problem, how do I
> create the xml config file that virt-install would create automatically
> if I were booting from an ISO image?

Sorry, but I'm completely unfamiliar with solaris virt-install utility,
but it's name suggests installing, while you have (or can easily
create otherwise) a working rootfs - there's no need to "install"
anything at all, so prehaps it's just not the right tool for the task.

While native OS tools are probably made to ease the maintenance, you
can always write configuration file by hand (or use one from jailtime
tarball), then use xen-tools to create domU from it.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net