Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers problem

On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:31 AM, James Harper wrote:

What OS are you using? If it's 2003 then make sure sp2 is installed.

I'm using windows XP SP2 (sp2 on purpose).
I have a Intel Core2 duo 2133mhz, 4mb cache with VT-X enabled.

I have the firewall disabled, but you said in another mail to disable
the service. I did and it boosted performance to 100mbits. Still slow
though :/

Switching to the 'Standard PC' hal is easy enough. Switching back is
a bit of a pain but you could just try it on an lvm snapshot.

should I be using the standard pc configuration or the acpi one?

Try the Standard PC one and just give XP one CPU (I think you were already?). I hope to have a way shortly to fix ACPI problems under XP and 2003 (<sp2 - sp2 includes the fix already) but initially only for AMD processors.

James

I've been trying to switch to a standard pc hal, but windows just keeps getting destroyed. I've tryed the normal "update driver" process but it won't accept the new driver (somehow?) and revert always back to acpi multiprocessor. So after completely destroying my windows setup, I copied windows again from the other partition and tried again. It didn't work. So I thought I could install SP3 to see if windows xp worked better..... it was installing it for the whole night, 12 hours later I didn't knew where it was and people at work needed to start to work so I had to stop the update. Now I had somesort of hybrid that crashes randomly... nevertheless I tried the /hal=xxx trick but the only thing it did was to delete hal.dll and complaint it doesn't have it anymore. So I put it there again and it complaints again that it doesn't exist....

In another post you said to turn off checksum and large send offloading .. I tried that but the performance lowered from 100mbits to 40 again. enabling those two upped the performance to 100mbits again.

again, windows xp (sp2?) and intel core 2 duo with only 1 processor for the machine (but with the acpi multiprocessor kernel ....) and my kernel times are still almost at 100%