RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers problem, switching HALs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers problem, switching HALs
From: "Oliver Wilcock" <oliver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:42:57 -0500 (EST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:44:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:58:55 +1100
> From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers problem
> To: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Venefax"
>       <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>,    <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>       <lfernandes@xxxxxxxx>
>

>> I've also followed this method and had success.  The only caveat is
> that
>> when I booted with the /hal=halxxx.dll switch, it automatically
> installed
>> the new HAL permanently - I didn't have to update any drivers or
> anything
>> like that.
>>

> Interesting. That's probably the case then - I only updated the drivers
> just to be sure.
>
> James

I've seen both behaviours when switching the Windows HAL.  Ie. 1. driver
being updated automatically, and 2. the driver not being updated
automatically.  I think it works the first time Windows perceives a
change, however, if you switch back and forth between HALs the registry
already contains the settings and so Windows doesn't feel that is
necessary to "install the drivers" for your new hardware.  When that is
the case you have to take matters into your own hands.