RE: [Xen-users] Large server, Xen limitations

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Large server, Xen limitations
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:07:58 -0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 07:12:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My own experience has been a decent raid controller is more important.

If you have multiple disk reads and writes happening from multiple VMs
then a good controller like an Areca or 3Ware will put the request in
blocks to stop disk thrashing, it can make a big difference. Even raid 1
read performance was better on the Areca SAS card we used compared to
the onboard LSI SAS solution because Areca seems to be better at raid 1
read interleaving. A good SAS card also allows you to mix and match SAS
and SATA.

As a general rule of thumb an enterprise 15K drive will offer 2-3 times
the performance of SATA 7.2K drive, the reason is partly because of the
spindle speed but also partly due to disk firmwares being geared for
server random read / write patterns rather than continuous / read ahead
home user loads.

We actually mix and match as needed, generally I found SAS is worth it
for database and web servers but a waste on web servers or backup NAS.
SATA is also available in much larger sizes.

The SAQ Group

Registered Office: 18 Chapel Street, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3DZ
SAQ is the trading name of SEMTEC Limited. Registered in England & Wales
Company Number: 06481952

http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219

SAQ Group Delivers high quality, honestly priced communication and I.T.
services to UK Business.

Broadband : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks : Transit :
Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.

ISPA Member

Find us in http://www.thebestof.co.uk/petersfield