RE: [Xen-users] Large server, Xen limitations

To: "Steve Thompson" <smt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<morten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Large server, Xen limitations
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:30:32 -0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 01:34:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Steve,

Do you have a link or details of an example for the cygwin compiles you
use as a sort of benchmark?

I use Centos 5.2 X64 setup running Xen 3.30 and don't see any big
differences between 32 and 64bit HVM performance. Disk and network
performance is faster on Para but not much else.

We are using some Quad Quad Core Opterons (16 Cores Total) here and it
works very well. Especially for Quad CPU and above I would recommend AMD
as long as you don't need PCI passthrough.

For AMD dual and quad setups it is important that NUMA is enabled.
Pinning cores to VCPUs seems to help performance in most cases as well,
so does disabling memory ballooning and working with fixed RAM VMs
(Although some people may not have enough ram to do this).

Rob