Re: [Xen-users] PCI passthrough, poor network performance in upload dire

To: "Luis F Urrea" <lfurrea@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PCI passthrough, poor network performance in upload direction
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:20:07 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:21:58 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=gaSuxm2YJIgbP0eJThjQNh3mB2hg3fzM9lpSOXat1DQ=; b=UqhNq3GhQINqKsby3osMY1WgpWfvRKwjr4OrcqLZCevk4az6yZZr9IYRKVf85caIKi 0Rdz3aBp9BNnlK8rwO8QH3j9afrrF0gFOmEBx6Pb3gk2KASwTmp7CHVNM5Iq1CU78hjP TnjF2dooD1eI8XNcFjkfk26ZnuF5pgx9Ljv+4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Luis F Urrea <lfurrea@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been having an issue for over a year with several Xen installations
> and have not been able to find out if this is just something I am missing.
>
> Basically I am trying to configure a firewall with two ethernet cards in a
> domU using pci passthrough. I am hiding the Ethernet cards at boot time via
> the pciback.hide kernel option.
>
> Right now I am running Xen 3.3.0 and the two Ethernet cards are passed to
> the FW domU.
>
> The FW domU is not configured with a vif interface to the bridge, so
> basically communication with DomO passes through the external hardware.
>
> Tests using iperf show me that download bandwidth from the FW domU to an
> external machine connected to the switch go as high as 94 Mbits/sec. However
> upload bandwidth from a laptop to the domU give me a maximum of 574
> Kbits/sec which basically is not enough to cover the upload bw of some
> internet connections.
>
> I have read recommendations about using ethtool -K ethX tx off in dom U, but
> in this case the tx ring does not seem the be the issue since the download
> speeds are just fine. Using 'ethtool -K rx eth0 off' did not show any
> improvements.
>
> Since the guest domain has exclusive access to both Ethernet cards I suppose
> that the overhead is introduced somewhere in the domU's kernel but I
> wouldn't exactly know where else to look for a possible fix.
>
> Your input is appreciated.

What is your guest kernel?

Is this all PV?

What is your hardware (both NIC and system)?

What driver is the guest using for the device?

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane