RE: [Xen-users] Xen GPL PV and undesirable requirement for APIC (irq >15

To: "Oliver Wilcock" <oliver@xxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen GPL PV and undesirable requirement for APIC (irq >15)
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:18:17 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:19:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for all the hard work on the GPL PV project.
>
> I've been having trouble with the more recent builds and then saw
this:

> > Making Windows do the right thing with IRQ's etc was really hard, I
> tried quite a few different approaches and this was the best one I
could
> come up with. It is a pity that it doesn't work with apic=0, but I
don't
> think that there is a valid reason these days why you would set
apic=0.
> Previously (xen 3.0.x) it was required to make some versions of
windows
> work.
> >
> > James
>
> The APIC problems haven't gone away, as far as I'm aware...
>

> Like a number of people I run my Windows HVMs with apic=0 (or rather
with
> the "Standard PC" hal.dll or halacpi.dll) to avoid performance
problems.

> Earlier releases of the GPL PV drivers worked well with "Standard PC"
and
> Windows XP halacpi.dll , but in the last few weeks they have been
> unusable.
>
> I just wanted to express my concern about the idea that the xennet
driver
> should crash if used with a non APIC HAL.  The xennet driver should
work
> with any HAL, just like the xenvbd driver.
>
> It would be nice if the apic problems were fixed, too.  Any idea why
the
> APIC related problem?  I think the pre-requisites for the symptoms are
AMD
> CPU and 64 bit hypervisor and 32 bit Windows HVM.
>
> reference:
> http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/suse-linux-
> enterprise-server-sles/sles-virtualization/337603-win2k3-xp-poor-
> performance-eats-10-cpu-while-idle.html

I reversed the bit that made it fail when it couldn't find an IRQ > 16.
I had incorrectly assumed that all IRQ's < 16 were ISA anyway. I think I
just need to detect the type of IRQ (ISA or PCI) and act
appropriately...

I will revisit this when I've gotten the pvscsi working again (I
desperately need that for internal testing, but it involves quite a few
changes).

James