RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV-drivers: size limit in "hard disk drivers" forvolu

To: Björn Schneider <bjoern.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV-drivers: size limit in "hard disk drivers" forvolumes?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:33:30 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:34:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered a strange behaviour of the block device PV driver: with
> the Qemu-derived IO-emulation I can easily access both virtual drives of
> 50 GByte and 2 Terabyte.
>     When I activate GPLPV, only the 50G system partition shows up; the 2
> TByte one is completely absent.
>
> Is there a limit the GPLPV block driver can handle? -- everything else
> seems to work fine... and yes, I need that 2TByte disk. It's a
> fileserver :)
>     I could of course try to split the disk and use the Windows volume
> management to assemble it back -- but I don't know how to do that
> exactly and it'd add another management layer. Which I don't want to.
>
> Any ideas or maybe even a solution? :) But it's not that urgent, I can
> still use the IO emulation until the system gets productive, which isn't
> before January. And maybe even still then.

What version of the drivers are you using, and also the exact sector count of
the disk?

2TByte is exactly 2^32 * 512 byte sectors, eg right on the limit of the number
of sectors a 32 bit integer can hold. I'll have to check, but I may only be
using the 32 bit SCSI commands... if you are actually just under 2TB then this
probably won't be the problem.

James