Re: [Xen-users] Problems running Windows XP with Multiprocessor Support

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems running Windows XP with Multiprocessor Support
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:52:27 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:55:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Make sure that your domU configuration has ACPI=1 and APIC=1.  If this is not the case, you'll need to change that configuration and then install a new Windows HAL that supports APIC and ACPI.

-Nick

Hi,
First of, thanks for creating a great product that is xen.

I am using Fedora 8 (x86) with kernel-xen-2.6.21.7-5.fc8, xen-libs-3.1.2-5.fc8
and i am using virt-manager to manage my guest domains.

Recently i created a new windows vista guest with 2 processor allocation, and
everything seems to work just right.

later, I installed Windows XP with service pack 3, with 2 processor
allocation, everything seems to work fine, but then the virt-manager reports
of very high cpu utilisation. Even when the guest is idle the reported cpu
utilisation is around 24-30%.
Also the system refuses to poweroff on shutdown and displays the "It is now
safe to turn off your computer" message. And again when this message is
displayed the CPU utilisation (as reported by virt-manager) is 24-30% .

if i install windows xp with service pack 3 and single processor allocation, i
do not see these issues. the reported cpu utilisation os low, system power's
off at shutdown, etc.

do you guys see similar behaviour? Is there something that i need to do to get
this fixed?

Secondly my processor  has some Virtualization technology. So i would like to
know whether i should use paravirtualization or full virtualization for my
linux guests.

Please Comment

Regards
~Sameer

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.