Re: [Xen-users] How domU could guess about its dom0?

To: "Sergey Lukashevich" <lukash33@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How domU could guess about its dom0?
From: "Alain Barthe" <ab266061@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:24:09 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 04:24:55 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=oxE4tUW91Qc3BbpSFttbFMHQKZKyhKoHi4qa0zqmRNg=; b=N0TBs9wop6fJBQ6xVeGGMzPkoHtjjxJH1QYSEHE8cVBKtnl9HswavL69ATvCRcM22K ORas5jcw9zSqEkLG+Dw6aqseGJefuy8KHOWXt0eXfCeDJfJ6BQ4XjFeuE/2rLJCkQzdW DODGaO59ZeqTg0T5dlkudpLENT8ivdZOgRmEc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2008/11/7 Sergey Lukashevich <lukash33@xxxxxxx>

Hurding multiple domUs on several Dom0 farms, sometimes, we need to gather actual info on de-facto dom0-domUs relationship. It could become a complicated task if a Dom0 is missing the list and only DomUs are well-known. Is there any method a DomU can get the hostname of its Dom0? We usually use PV Linux as DomU.

We solve that indirectly by writing a service like script that runs on every dom0 and that produces a XML file describing the domU running on this dom0 regularly (every two minutes in our case). The XML data is written on a NFS share, accessable from all dom0s and eventually by any machine, including some domUs.

We use this XML data to maintain some HTML pages that describe dom0s, domUs and their relationships. Another script allows to query the XML data to locate a particular domU or a particular virtual block device.