[Xen-devel] another windows debugging tip

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] another windows debugging tip
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 17:49:18 +1100
Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:49:43 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Something else I just discovered to make capturing DbgPrint and KdPrint
output from Windows (I use this a lot in debugging gplpv drivers):

. Make sure "serial='pty'" is in your windomu config
. Run DebugView from SysInternals
. Enabled Kernel Capture
. Log to a file - type 'com1' as the filename
. xm console will now show you all the debug output that DebugView
captures...

Because DebugView is a usermode app, it's not going to capture anything
if the system crashes before it can schedule the usermode process, but
it means that you don't need to rely on tcpip functioning, and it's
heaps faster than windbg.

If anyone knows a pure kernel mode solution that can capture DbgPrint
and KdPrint output and write it straight to the serial port, please let
me know!

Thanks

James