RE: [Xen-users] Another GPLPV pre-release 0.9.11-pre20

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Another GPLPV pre-release 0.9.11-pre20
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:54:10 +1100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 01:54:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi James,
>
> > Did you get a crash dump out of it?
>
> Yes.
>
> >If so, please try again after starting DebugView from sysinternals.com
> >Send me the
> >DbgView.log file (assuming there is something in it).
>
> It's a little complicated.
> Driver installation installs xenblk succesfully, but when it installs
> xennet it BSOD, writes a crash dump. Rstart the server, now it BSOD with
> 0x7E. I assume xenblk did that, which is weird because I'm booting
> WITHOUT /gplpv.
>
> So I restart again, press F8, select Last known good configuration, run
> debugview again. Dbgview.log attached (gz-compressed).

Thanks for that. There are two problems I can see. The first is that gplpv
fails to connect the backend for each device. The second is that in xennet,
I don't check the return code so when it fails you get a crash.

Without /GPLPV in the boot.ini, xennet still runs but tells windows that the
cable is disconnected, so that the network adapter can still be set up
before booting with /GPLPV. That is why you still got the crash.

I have just uploaded a file called xennet.sys.solaristest to
http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads. What I think you will need to do is to
run the 0.9.11 installer, but untick 'install drivers'. Once that is
complete, copy the updated xennet.sys to C:\Program Files\Xen PV
Drivers\drivers\i386 (or amd64, I don't know if you told me what arch you
are using). Then you will need to manually install the drivers from
C:\Program Files\Xen PV Drivers\drivers, one at a time, starting with the
PCI device. If you can't make that work then let me know and I'll build
another release.

Once you have done that, the drivers still won't work, so don't bother with
/GPLPV in your boot menu, but we can start looking further.

When you do the install, with debugview running, you will see a message like
'XenPCI     Still waiting for 4 (currently 2)...' repeat once a second for
about 20 seconds. As soon as that starts, please do a 'xenstore-ls
/local/domain' in your Dom0 and send me the results. You will need to have a
Linux (or other) PV domain running for this to be useful. Let me know the ID
of both the Windows DomU you are testing, and the existing Linux PV DomU. I
suspect that maybe I've been a bit sloppy with something I am writing into
xenstore, and that the Linux Dom0 is less sensitive to it than Solaris is...

Thanks

James